Apprenticeship

By , May 6, 2009

The Right Skills through Apprenticeship

Apprentice 1Job forecasts for the next 10 years indicate that 60% of all job openings will be in trades and technology.

There are more than 140 trades and industry career choices!

What is Apprenticeship?

  • It is an opportunity to earn while you learn.
  • On the job training.
  • A three way partnership with you, the employee; an employer who needs skilled employees and is willing to assume the cost of workplace training; and the apprenticeship office of the Industry Training Authority

The role of the employer

  • To provide a competent journeyperson to ensure that transfer of knowledge and skills from journeyperson to apprentice takes place.
  • To provide a work environment conducive to learning.
  • To provide a safe employment environment for the apprentice.
  • To provide the opportunity for the apprentice to regularly attend technical training.
  • To evaluate the apprentice on skills required in the trade.
  • To manage the record of employment (hours of work) for the apprentice.
  • To apply a remuneration system (rate of pay) that meets or exceeds the level prescribed by regulation.
  • To recommend the completion of the apprentice when all requirements for certification have been met.

apprenticeshippic3The role of the apprentice

  • To locate employers who will provide them with work-based training leading to certification.
  • To provide honest and loyal service to the employer.
  • To master the skills of the trade by diligently following on-the-job-training.
  • To work safely, not just for personal safety, but for that of co-workers.
  • To ensure that the record of employment is regularly updated.
  • To fulfill their technical training requirements, including selection of and registration with an appropriate public or private training provider.

The Role of the Industry Training Authority

  • To provide services to apprentices (registration, examinations, etc.) through its service bureau, the Industry Training Centre.
  • To work with industry to identify current and emerging skills requirements, and to explore training and certification options.
  • To work with public and private training providers to coordinate and maximize the efficiency of training, and providing funding to them.
  • To provide quality standards for training and credentials that are consistent with industry needs, provincial regulations, and national Red Seal standards where applicable.
  • For more information, visit www.itabc.ca

How does it work?

About 80% of an apprentice’s training takes place on the job; the remaining 20% involves technical training in a post-secondary training establishment.

The apprentice performs progressively challenging prescribed tasks under the supervision of a journeyperson and gets paid an incremental, industry-established wage as he/she learns the skills of the trade.

Most apprenticeships take two to five years to complete depending on the trade.

At the end of the apprenticeship program, the apprentice is required to write the final examination. Upon successful completion of the examination and by satisfying the other requirements of the apprenticeship agreement, the apprentice will be issued a provincial and/or an interprovincial certificate of qualification.

What are the steps?

If you are a high school student, contact your high school counselor, and/or apprenticeship/career coordinator to find out about the Secondary School Apprenticeship Program.

Get a good start on a career while you are still in school. Endless opportunities. Earn credits towards graduation while you work in a trade of your choice. 480 apprenticeable hours of work = 16 credits
= 4 courses (one semester)
= $1,000 scholarship to assist with tools and trade school if

  • C+ average in grade 12 courses
  • Still in the trade 6 months after graduation

If you are not presently attending school, investigate the following routes:

  • Enter the work force directly: an apprentice works in the trade of choice for approximately one year, then enters a trade school for technical theory. The apprentice then returns to work for a second year. This pattern repeats itself for the number of years required to obtain journeyman status.
  • Enroll in a trades training program in your chosen field and find employment after completion.

How do I get an employer to sponsor me?

  • Take a trades training program and make a good impression during your work experience.
  • May be you have a friend or a family member willing to hire you as an apprentice.
  • May be you already have a part time job for which you can get credit.
  • If not, get a job, satisfy your employer and ask for an apprenticeship.

For further information, contact us!apprenticeshippic2

Comments are closed

Panorama Theme by Themocracy