Spectra Energy Endowment Fund
The Spectra Energy Endowment Fund provides scholarships and bursaries to recognize the accomplishments and provide financial help to northeast BC students participating in a Northern Opportunities dual credit program and/or apprenticeship.
Scholarships of $750 are awarded to selected students demonstrating high achievement in a trades/technology program. Approximately $43,000 – $45,000 is available annually to be distributed through the Northern Opportunities Student Awards Program.
Bursaries of up to $2,000 are awarded as non-repayable monetary awards, based on financial need and basic academic achievements, to assist selected students in pursuing in a trades/technology program.
In 2003/04, Spectra Energy (formerly Duke Energy) invested $1,000,000 in an endowment fund to provide financial support for northeast BC students participating in Northern Opportunities. The income generated from this endowment fund is awarded twice annually (January and June) to high school students enrolled in School Districts ’ #59, #60 and #81 dual credit programs.
Download the complete Spectra Energy Endowment Fund Program Description here: Spectra Application Form
If you are a student in need of financial help and wish to apply for a Spectra Energy Endowment Fund award, we ask that you please consider the following when completing your application. Following these guidelines will help the Selection Committee in assessing your application and ensuring that those most in need are identified.
- The intent of these awards is to assist students that require financial help.
- Ensure your budget clearly outlines your expenses and income.
- If required, be prepared to explain how you calculated your budget.
- Your reference (teacher or counselor) may be required to comment on your financial need.
- Ensure your essay is easily read
- If you are submitting a hand written copy, please ensure it is clearly legible
- Include your current address on your essay.
- Priority will be given to students who are beginning their dual credit program, though students nearing completion will also be considered.
- Bursaries are awarded to a maximum of $2,000 each based on financial need. Final bursary amounts are based on the recommendation of the selection committee and may differ from the amounts applicants’ request.
- Deadline: Applications will be accepted twice annually.
Awards for Fall Semester
- Application due May 15
- Selection Committee reviews application from May-June
- Scholarships and Bursaries Awarded June 30
Awards for Spring Semester
- Application due December 15
- Selection Committee reviews application from December-January
- Scholarships and Bursaries Awarded January 30
How To Apply:
To apply for financial awards, students should review the awards program description, complete a Spectra Application Form and mail to:
Spectra Energy Endowment Fund
Northern Opportunities Student Awards Program
c/o Glenn Auger
Spectra Energy Transmission
4528 44th Avenue, Box 906
Chetwynd , BC V0C 1J0
Or email to: email@example.com