Early Childhood Education and Care students develop the knowledge and skills necessary to work with young children and their families in diverse early learning settings in British Columbia. Students develop skills through courses and practica designed to integrate academic and practical experiences. This program may be completed on a part- or full-time basis. Students may complete the program within their own community through online delivery.
Graduates of the program will be eligible to apply for a Basic ECE, Infant and Toddler, and a Special Needs Licence to Practice from the B.C. ECE Registry, with an exit point after 15 courses to apply for the Basic ECE Licence to Practice only.
Career Prospects: Early Childhood Educator in a licensed group childcare centre or preschool, Program Supervisor, Assistant Director of a preschool or school age centre, Director of a preschool or school age centre, Nursery School Director, Family Child Care Provider, Child Development Counselor, Family Resource Centre Coordinator, Child Care Coordinator, ECE Researcher, Strong Start Facilitator, Daycare programs, Young Parent programs, Drop-In programs, Home Visit programs, Provincial Licensing Officer, Holiday Destination Children’s Program worker, Child Advocate, Nanny, or Respite Provider.
- Provide official transcripts indicating successful completion of Grade 11, and successful completion of Grade 12 English or First Peoples 12, with a C or higher.
- Consult your High School’s Dual Credit Coordinator or Counsellor to determine any additional prerequisites for individual courses.
To gain final acceptance into the program, applicants must:
- Complete the designated Program Questionnaire.
- Provide a comprehensive letter stating background, interest, and goals in taking the program.
- Provide two current letters of reference (must be written and dated within the last year), attesting to personal suitability for working with young children.
- Provide a current certificate of good health from a physician (form included in application package on website).
Where is the program offered?
Online (starts September)
For more information on Early Childhood Education and Care at Northern Lights College, go to the NLC website.